Courtesy of 9to5mac.com
Apple released the first beta version of iOS 10 for developers to test last month at WWDC 2016. The public beta version won’t be ready until later in July and the release version is due out this fall, but registered developers can update to iOS 10 beta 2 starting today.
If you’re already testing iOS 10 beta on your iPhone or iPad, head to the Software Update section of the Settings app to find the OTA update.
Apple issues iOS 10 beta 2 for developers
iOS 10 includes loads of new features and changes including redesigned Music and News apps, the first Home app for HomeKit, a redesigned Lock screen and Home screen experience for widgets, tons of iMessage features in Messages, and much more. Apple tends to tweak major software updates during the beta period, too, so we’ll update with any notable changes.
- Apple unveils iOS 10 at WWDC 2016, new lock screen, Siri SDK, much more
- iOS 10 coming this fall, developer beta today and public beta in July
- Here are the iOS 10 features and developer tools Apple didn’t detail on stage
- Hands-on: iOS 10 iPhone and iPad tidbits
- Hands-on: The all-new Music app in iOS 10 [Gallery]
- Download iOS 10 and macOS 10.12 Sierra wallpapers for iPhone, iPad, and Mac
- CarPlay in iOS 10: Improved Apple Music, removing & rearranging apps, more
- Hands-on: iOS 10 + watchOS 3 Home app for HomeKit on iPhone, iPad, & Apple Watch
- Hands-on: 75 new features in iOS 10 [Video]
- iOS 10: A look at 30 additional new features [Video]
Catch up on our full coverage with our iOS 10 guide. We’ll dig through the latest iOS 10 beta and update with notable changes. As always, shout in the comments, mention us on @9to5mac, or email [email protected] with changes you discover as well.
Here’s the update screen (not much to see yet):
And here’s everything new so far:
- Tweaked HomeKit iconography in Control Center
- Notification Center ‘Missed’ becomes ‘Recent’
- Today view for widgets in Notification Center can once again be accessed with swipe down from Home screen, not just within apps
- Iconography for Apple TV and speakers tweaked in AirPlay settings in Control Center
- HomeKit app icon updated from solid yellow to Home app icon in Settings
- Apple Music replaces ‘Downloaded Music’ with ‘Downloads’, no longer removable
- Maps now include option for ‘Show Parked Location’ plus feature explanation in Settings
- Messages now have Low-Quality Image Mode toggle in Settings
- Mail has new filter icon (was previously a filter, now lines within a circle
- Notification Center now has Weather Channel credit once again
- Control Center 3D Touch options have tweaked language, icons
- New Organ Donation changes available in Health app
- Music now has Shuffle option from Songs section (previously had to play a song before shuffling)
- ‘Rest Finger to Unlock’ option in Accessibility Settings
- Lock screen adds ‘Unlocked’ animation in status bar when unlocked, previously just removed lock icon
- App Store now works with Split View on supported iPads
- iMessage App Store introduced over the weekend now promoted with splash screen
- Feedback app available for more users
- 3D Touching folders with badges now shows badges per apps, previously said ‘Unread’ per app
- Interactive notifications now work differently on non-3D Touch devices (swipe down versus slide over to access options)
- Subtle new Siri animation (Home screen minimizes in background)
- Connect Posts now appears below For You content on For You tab, Connect tab appears when you disable Apple Music, new banner promoting sign-ups
- Apple News is now a “removable” app (holding out hope for Photo Booth)
- Keyboard click sound has reverted to classic version, iOS 10 beta 1 included updated sound
- New ‘Featured Complications’ section in Apple Watch app
- AirPlay/Bluetooth headphones and speakers now appear from Now Playing screen in Music
- Autofill sync option for Music to Apple Watch (Smart and Random options)
- Background App Refresh toggles for Apple Watch
- Use Previous Duration option in Breathe app settings for Apple Watch
- New CarPlay button to skip directly to a message
From the official release notes:
- In Library, you can now view and manage a list of all active downloads.
- Posts from artists you follow now appear under Connect Posts within For You.
- You can now sign in to Apple Music on Sonos.
- Music videos can now be played fullscreen.
- Related music suggestions now appear in album pages.
Certain Apple Music features will become available in a future beta:
- For You Mixes
- Viewing Connect posts on an artist’s or curator’s page
- Follow and unfollow option on an artist or curator’s page
- Report a concern on Connect posts or comments
- Delete a comment you made on Connect posts
- Account page to view all artists you follow
- Setting to turn on or turn off the Automatically Follow Artists preference
- Show Complete Album for Library items
- Display of works and movements for classical music
- Popularity indicators for albums
Apple issues iOS 10 beta 2 for developers: I hope you like this. If you have any question please comment below.